Shri B M Patil Medical College Library
“The library connects us with the insight and knowledge, painfully extracted from nature, of the greatest minds that ever were, with the best teachers, drawn from the entire planet and from all our history, to instruct us without tiring, and to inspire us to make our own contribution to the collective knowledge of the human species”. by Carl Sagan.
Shri B M Patil Medical College Central Library was established in 1986. Apart from the main Shri B M Patil Medical College library it has also departmental libraries. The primary mission of the Shri B M Patil Medical College library is to support the educational and teaching programs of the college by providing physical and intellectual access to information.
The Shri B M Patil Medical College library building has a built up area of 2400 sq. mts with a huge collection of 18404 books and 177 annual subscription journals. It can accommodate 654 students at a time.
The Shri B M Patil Medical College library aims to develop a comprehensive collection of documents useful for the faculty and student of the college and to serve as a resource center for the Health Science Information. Shri B M Patil Medical College library is also subscribed for Proquest Health Complete Database. The collection of the library includes Books (print and digital formats), Journals (print and digital formats), SC/ST book bank collection, Dissertations, Proquest Health Complete Database, CD-ROMS, Video Cassettes, Back volumes of Journals and WHO Publications. The annual budget of the Shri B M Patil Medical College library is over Rs. 1.64 Crore rupees.
|SC/ST Book Bank||447|
The digital library is a gateway to the electronic biomedical literature. The mission of the digital library is to provide an effective and efficient information infrastructure to the Shri B M Patil Medical College library for providing access to the current and relevant, online resources, nurturing an environment and culture which is helpful in advancing the usage of e-learning resources for enabling stakeholders to contribute in the global society. 40 systems have been provided with the objective to make it as the academic hub.
The air conditioned digital library is supported by 130mbps lease line internet connection and Shri B M Patil Medical College library building is enabled by wi-fi. Access is made available to EPAC (Electronic Public Access Catalogue), Proquest Health Complete Database, e-journals, e-books, and free/open access resources directory. Academic information on CD-ROM, audio and video formats are made available for users. Printing, scanning, unlimited browsing and download facilities are offered. Videoconference service is initiated for faculty and students to widen their knowledge and research and enhance patient care. Swayam Prabha is installed to provide access to 32 DTH educational Channels.
The Shri B M Patil Medical College library is supported with “Newgenlib” open source integrated library management software with all the modules for the library housekeeping operations. The library has created Institutional Repository on DSpace. Which provides access to faculty publications, dissertations, theses, previous year question papers OPAC, 14 E-journals and in-house journal. Library has subscribed for the Turnitin-plagiarism detection software and IBM SPSS ed.23 software for the statistical analysis. Remote access to digital resources is provided on individual user login credentials.
Shri B. M. Patil Medical College Library Rules
Introduction & Scope
Rules governing the administration and use of Shri B M Patil Medical College library shall come in to force from 4th July 2007 and shall be called as Central Library Rules. It shall be binding on each and every member/user of the Central Library. All the previously existing library rules and practices shall be superseded by these rules.
These rules were framed, modified & adopted by the Shri B M Patil Medical College Library Committee meeting held on 4th July 2007. Further amendments and modifications if any shall be made as and when required by the Shri B M Patil Medical College Library Committee and be incorporated in these rules from time-to-time.
Shri B M Patil Medical College library Timings
8.00 am to 10.00 pm including general holidays and Sunday.
Members of the Central Library
The following are the categories of the members of the Central Library:
- Teaching faculty of each departments of the Shri B.M. Patil Medical College
- Tutors of each Department of the Shri B.M. Patil Medical College
- Retired teachers of Shri B.M. Patil Medical College
- Post Graduate & Under Graduate students of the Shri B.M. Patil College
- Ex-students of the Shri B.M. Patil Medical College
Eligibility for membership
The following is the categories of borrowing facility for different user group subject to the fulfillment of conditions noted below.
- Memberships with library deposit
a) All the teaching faculty can become a member of the Shri B M Patil Medical College library on payment of library deposit of Rs.500/- (refundable) to Library Teacher Fund (Account No. 170110009465) at ING Vysya Bank, BLDEA’s Medical College Branch, Vijayapura (Bijapur)
- Membership with annual fees
a) All students (PG/UG) enrolled in the College shall become members of the Shri B M Patil Medical College Library on producing the receipt of library fees.
b) Post Graduate & Under Graduate students coming for reference work from other College/Institutions have to pay Rs.200/- for a period of less than one month. The subsequent weeks have to pay Rs.50/-. No library material/books will be issued to them out of the Shri B M Patil Medical College library. Any such user who would like to use the Shri B M Patil Medical College library for more than one month has to take his/her annual membership by paying the annual library fees of Rs.1000/- per year.
- Membership with Library Deposit and Fees
a) Tutors of the different department of the college on the recommendation letter from the HOD of the Department and on payment of Library Deposit of Rs.11500/- (Refundable) and fees of Rs.500/- per annum.
b) Ex-students of the college can become a member on the recommendation of the principal and Library Deposit of Rs.3000/- (Refundable) and fees of Rs. 750 per annum/Rs.250 per month.
- Membership without Library Deposit and Fees
a)The retired teachers of the College are allowed to use the Shri B M Patil Medical College library for reference, free of cost. Hence, they are requested to obtain an identity card for membership from the library.
2. All the above categories of users may in the prescribed application and take the photographs from Medical Illustration Department along with necessary receipt/s of the library fees/deposits.
3. The faculty members may enroll themselves as Shri B M Patil Medical College library member on production of a copy of the appointment orders & deposit receipts.
4. The tutors of the college shall become the member of the Shri B M Patil Medical College library by production of appointment letter with the payment of library deposit of Rs. 1500/- (Refundable). However, the department should give an undertaking that, they will demand NDC before relieving such tutors, otherwise the department will be responsible for the borrowing of such users.
5. Mebership may be cancelled at any time by the Chairman of the Shri B M Patil Medical College Library Committee on the recommendation of the Member Secretary on valid grounds.
The following is the categories of borrowing facility for different user groups, subject to the fulfillment of conditions noted below.
User CategoryLibrary DepositLibrary FeesBorrowing EntitlementsPeriod of LoanMembers of the teaching faculty500Nil2One monthTutors (Recommendation of HOD’s & No due certificate before relieving)1500NilOnly Reference U.G. StudentsNil 27 daysP.G. StudentsNil1000215 daysEx. Students of College3000250 per month
750 per annum
Only reference Visiting PG/UG students from other Colleges/Institution3000250 per month
1000 per annum
Only reference Retired teachers of the CollegeNilNilOnly reference
Rules related to borrowing of books
- Books and other documents borrowed from the Shri B M Patil Medical College library should be returned within the prescribed due date, failing which a fine of Rs. 5/- per day for first seven days & Rs. 10/- per day for the subsequent days for the overdue books shall be levied from every user including P.G. Students
- Every member of the teaching faculty must get his/her books renewed once ina year on or before the last working day of the academic year. The defaulters will not be allowed to borrow the books till they return the earlier borrowings.
- Books from the special collection, reference books/journals, thesis and dissertation, text books & non-book materials (eg: CD ROM, tapes, etc.) are not to be issued outside the premises of the Shri B M Patil Medical College library. However, the textbooks can be issued overnight and late fee will be charged @ Rs.10/- per book, per day.
- All students shall return books borrowed from the Shri B M Patil Medical College library before commencement of the examination and obtain ‘No Due Certificates’ from the library. The name of the defaulters shall be reported to the principal to withhold the halt ticket for appearing for the examination and also the marks cards.
- Refund of the Shri B M Patil Medical College library deposit wherever applicable should be claimed by the member within one year from the date of completion of his/her membership.
- The teachers of the college who are transferred to other department should return the books borrowed from the Shri B M Patil Medical College library and get ‘No Due Certificate’ before they are relieved.
- The teaching faculty of the college who retire (voluntarily or otherwise) shall have to return all their borrowings & procure “No Dues Certificate” from the Shri B M Patil Medical College library in order to enable the college authorities to settle their retirement benefits.
- Books & other reading materials borrowed by any user may be recalled by the librarian any time & should be returned within 24 hours or within the period specified in such communication.
- In case of identity card being lost, duplicate card shall be issued only on the payment of Rs.100/- per day along with justification letter for the loss.
- Every reader borrowing Shri B M Patil Medical College library books/other documents shall be responsible for the safe custody and return of the same in undamaged manner. He/she should verify and bring to the notice of the concerned Shri B M Patil Medical College library staff if the book is damaged/mutilated before getting it issued. In the event of its being mutilated/lost, the borrower has to replace the same with new book or pay ‘Four Times’ the cost of the book. The cost of the book shall be calculated at the current price and exchange rates, in case of foreign books/document.
Rules relating to loss of book
Every reader who loses the book must report to the Shri B M Patil Medical College library immediately and he will be given one month time for finding and returning the book. In case he fails to return the book after one month from the date of reporting, he will be charged a fine of Rs.5/- per day, per book till he replaces with the new book of the same title and other details. In case he/she can’t replace the book then he/she will have to pay ‘Four Times’ the cost of the book subject to the minimum of Rs.500/-, if the cost of the book is less than Rs. 125/-. However, the current conversion rate will be counted for foreign books.
Rules for using Shri B M Patil Medical College library facilities/services
- Internet/e-journal browsing facility at digital library
All the users of the Shri B M Patil Medical College library who are desirous of using internet and e-journal browsing facility with in the library premises shall have to pay Rs. 500/- annually.
- Reprographic/document delivery services
Xerox facilities/service shall be extended to the members of the Shri B M Patil Medical College library and the charges fixed by the college from time-to-time.
Shri B M Patil Medical College library will make necessary arrangement to enroll membership to different document delivery services like HELINET, etc., through which reprint/document delivery services shall be extended to library members on their specific request. However, charges/cost if any, involved for such services shall be met by the concerned member.
- Inter-Library loan services
Inter-Library loan facility shall be provided members on their request. However, the postal and such other cost involved for such service be met by the concerned borrower.
Shri B M Patil Medical College library shall also provide specialized services such as current awareness service, bibliographic service, database search service, tec., on payment of charges fixed by the college from time-to-time.
Rules for withdrawal of books
Withdrawal of unserviceable/out dated books once in three years, the library in consultation with the departments should withdraw the unserviceable/outdated books to maintain the latest collections of the Shri B M Patil Medical College library. The process of withdrawal shall be as follows
- The department shall decide on the books which are to be sent to the compact shelving section.
- Those books that are sent to the compact shelving section, will also be made available in the online catalogue of the Shri B M Patil Medical College library. Hence, if any books are called back by the users for the fairly regular use, then they will be added back to the collection.
- If the books in the compact shelving section are not used continuously for three years, they will be removed from the collection with the approval of the Shri B M Patil Medical College library committee.
- Every reader/user entering the library should deposit their belonging at the property counter.
- Every reader/user shall present his/her identity card issued by the principal while entering the Shri B M Patil Medical College library or on demand by the library staff.
- Every reader/user should enter his/her name and other details in the entry register maintained at the counter.
- Reading room facility for short referencing shall be extended normally to all the visitors with the permission of the Principal / Librarian.
- Loud talking, eating, conversations, smoking, etc., are strictly prohibited in the Shri B M Patil Medical College library.
- Use of mobiles within the Shri B M Patil Medical College library premises is strictly prohibited and penalty of Rs. 100/- will be charged if mobile is carried inside the library without switching off.
Shri B M Patil Medical College library Services
- Current Awareness Services (CAS).
- Document Delivery Service (DDS).
- Compilation of bibliography on request.
- Reprographic Service.
- OPAC: Available.
- Referral Service.
- Indexing Service.
- Health awareness day information display.
- E-mail / SMS Alert Service.
- Book bank service for SC/ST students.
- Scanning of documents.
- Repository of old question papers.
- Verification of Manuscripts for Plagiarism through Turnitin Software.
- Remote access to library digital resources.
Book selection & Purchase policy
Introduction Collection development is an important scientific process of building up a healthy and qualitative collection of books, periodicals & other documents. Collection building should be continues process through out the year. A Library with an efficient collection development policy can build timely and quality collections in support of academic and research activities of the college. A good book if not added to the collection is a lacunae where as a bad book added to the collection is a burden to the Library.
Hence the Library should take all precaution before purchasing a book and following necessary policies in this direction. Hence, it is proposed to initiate for a transparent and efficient purchase policy for Shri B M Patil Medical College library. This policy cannot be an end in itself. The practical experiences during the implementation of these policies can be a base for important & development of new policies from time to time.
Registration of Suppliers
It is proposed to initiate for the registration of book suppliers every year and they must sign an agreement bond prescribed by the Shri B M Patil Medical College library. There are several conditions regarding price proof, currency of the publication etc which are to be declared by the vendors. Hence, the bond will include an undertaking of the vendor that he will supply only recent edition of the book and will charge only according to the publisher’s catalogue or copy of the publishers invoice etc. This will enable control unhealthy competition among the vendors.
Purchase of Books on Approval
It is proposed to create separate “Books on Approval Section” in the Shri B M Patil Medical College library with necessary facilities. All the interested vendors can send their recent books on approval which will be displayed in this Section. The list of the same will also be made available on the Intranet to all the users of the Shri B M Patil Medical College library. The teachers can fill in the books recommendation forms and send the same to the librarian with the signature of their HOD of the Department for purchase. Books which are not selected will be taken back by the vendors after a stipulated time.
Books selection through publishers catalogues
The Shri B M Patil Medical College library will supply the addresses of all the HOD’s of the Departments to all the publishers, So that they can send their catalogues directly to the HOD of the Department and in turn the Chairman with the approval of their Departmental Council shall send the list of selected books with their recommendations to the Shri B M Patil Medical College library for purchase.
Visits of the publishers representatives
The publishers send their representatives to major institutions like Universities for promotion of their books. They can be requested to visit the Departments and promote their books, as they are not the direct sellers. They only create awareness about the recent publications of different subjects. Hence, teachers will be informed of the recent books in their subject. The HOD can send their recommendations to the Shri B M Patil Medical College library for purchase.
Teachers might also get information about books from different journals and reviews. Shri B M Patil Medical College library will also arrange to circulate reviews to the Department. They may also get information through Internet. In such cases also they can send recommendations through their HOD.
Teachers Visit to Book Shops/ Book Fairs
Teachers when they visit to any bookshops in the Bijapur city may bring the details of the books and fill in the recommendation forms, so that the Shri B M Patil Medical College library will make necessary arrangements to procure those documents.
Teachers visit to Bookshops/Book Fairs in other cities
Teachers when they visit any book stalls in cities other than Bijapur, incase if they find a good book then they may select book/s and request the vendor to send them to Shri B M Patil Medical College library on approval basis, which in turn should be recommended by the HOD of the Department. In case if that vendor disagrees to send books on approval, then one is requested to collect the complete details of the particular book/s and address of the vendor so as to enable the Shri B M Patil Medical College library to procure the same book/s.
Students Participation in book selection
Arrangement will be made to locate “Books Recommendation Box” in the Shri B M Patil Medical College library along with books recommendation forms. Any UG/PG student can fill up the form and drop the same in the “Books Recommendation Box”.
The Students/Teachers can also recommend books through the Shri B M Patil Medical College library website under Suggest – a-Book-Column. Periodically the library will consolidate all the recommendations made by the students divide them according to departments and after the duplicate check send them to the respective departments for the recommendation of the HOD. Once they are recommended the library will process the purchase procedure.
Books Purchase on High Priority
Any Teachers and UG/PG students can request for purchase of books instantaneously which are urgently required for their use. The same will be procured over telephonic orders with in two days. Their request through the HOD of the Department for immediate purchase will be effected immediately. If the book is not available in the country and is to be imported then it may take one to three weeks for procuring the book.
Books Selection through Exhibitions
The Shri B M Patil Medical College library shall organize periodical exhibition of books inviting all the registered Vendors to display their books in the library premises. This shall be communicated to the teachers well in advance. This will enable the teachers to have exposure to the wide choice.
Maximum number of copies to be purchased
If the book is of reference in nature the Shri B M Patil Medical College library shall purchase maximum two Copies. In case of text books the library shall purchase maximum ten copies. In exceptional cases on the strong recommendation of the Departmental Council the Chief Librarian at his discretion may procure maximum 5 copies of reference books and 15 copies of text books. The Shri B M Patil Medical College library will decide on Procurement of the books based on the already existing copies in the library. This will avoid the duplication. In case of Books written /Published by the teachers of the college, the Library shall purchase maximum of up to 5 copies.
Shri B M Patil Medical College library Staff
|Sl. No.||Name of the staff||Qualification||Designation|
|1.||Smt. S.S. Hiremath||M.L.I.Sc, M.Phil||Librarian|
|2.||Smt. Manjula||M.L.I.Sc, M.Phil., K.SET.,||Librarian|
|3.||Sri S.C. Lalasangi||M.L.I.Sc., PGDHL||Asst.Librarian|
|4.||Shri Shivakumar Acharya||M.L.I.Sc, M.Com, M.Phil, PGDLAN, UGC, NET||Asst. Librarian|
|5.||Shri Harshavardhan S Maga||M.L.I.Sc, B.Ed., K-SET, PGDCA||Asst.Librarian|
|6.||Shri B.D. Biradar||M.A., M.Phil., M.L.I.Sc||FDC|
|7.||Shri R.G. Ambalagi||B.Com, M.L.I.Sc, M.Phil||FDC|
|8.||Shri D.L. Nidoni||M.Com||SDC|
|9.||Shri Mohan. Kamatagi||B.C.A., MCP Certified||Technical Support||10.||Shri U.A. Kaladagi||B.A., B.L.I.Sc||Peon|
|11.||Shri S.M. Kadakol||PUC||Peon|
|12.||Smt. D.S. Pujari||PUC||Attender|
|13.||Shri S.G. Hukkeri||SSLC||Peon|
|14.||Shri G.A. Rajput||SSLC||Peon|
|15.||Shri R.R. Rathod||B.A||Attender|
Central Library , BLDE University,
Shri B. M. Patil Medical College,
Smt. Bangarramma Sajjan Campus,
Solapur Road, Vijayapur – 586103.
Contact No: 08352-264936, 08352-262770. Extn No: 2286/87/88.
Reference and Circulation: 8.00 AM to 10.00 PM.
Library will be open all the 365 days,
Reading facility round the clock (24X7) on all the 365 days.